How to respond
1. Stay calm.
2. Encourage your loved one to seek help
3. Educate yourself with the illness
4. Ask if they need help and what kind of help
5. Take the LEAP approach: Listen, Empathize, Agree, Partner, instead of getting frustrated and impatient.
Make a difference
1. Encourage therapy for someone suffering from mental illness
2. Show your support by being present for the recovery process
3. Create a positive network of emotional and practical help
4. Don't underestimate how much you can do